Re: [mail-vet-discuss] Preview of draft-09

2007-11-05 15:50:54
Scott Kitterman wrote:
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 11:14:49 -0800 "Murray S. Kucherawy" <msk(_at_)sendmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
SM wrote:
If this memo replaces the Received-SPF header, then it changes the requirements on an existing protocol.
SPF is an experimental protocol. Thus, I'm not sure this is a big deal. Anyone else want to weigh in?

It would be sensible, I think for now, to define SPF support here as an optional addition or adjunct to the protocol defined in RFC 4408. Once a multi-method standardized header field exists (as defined here), it's use could be part of the transition from experimental to something else.
SPF support is explicitly included in the list of methods supported by the draft. If other additional wording is needed to indicate that this would replace the Received-SPF header in RFC4408, can someone propose such? I'm not sure off the top of my head what language might be appropriate.

The current wording is meant to acknowledge that Received-SPF exists, but is not sufficiently universal for general use. Personally I think that's sufficient. I don't think we need to officially deprecate it; as Scott indicates, one could use either or both in an SPF implementation.