Re: [mail-vet-discuss] Proposed "header.b" tag for DKIM signatures

2010-03-24 18:47:40
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 02:37:43PM -0700, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

first several characters of the actual digital signature, which is
pretty much guaranteed to be unique among signatures present.  This will
allow unambiguous matching of signatures with results.

I sense some conflict between "pretty much guaranteed" and
"unambiguous".
How many signature bytes are you proposing to use?

The spec says a minimum of eight, but enough to be able to be
unambiguous.  A few security types around the IETF I've polled about
this seem to think that's adequate.

Do you have another suggestion?

Well, since birthday attacks are not a concern here, 64-bits of signature
should have very low collision probability, provided the bits are not
primarily ASN.1 scaffolding, rather than the actual signature. I would
look for ~96 bits, and look into the question of how many of those first
few bytes are unpredictable signature vs. fixed ASN.1 glue.

--
        Viktor.