mharc-users

Re: Porting existing archives into Mharc...

2002-07-03 12:50:20
On July 3, 2002 at 10:23, Sean M Alderman wrote:

  Has anyone tried to port existing mhonarc archives into mharc?  I
maintain about 20 archives which are being built with mhonarc
2.4.something, and I'm moving them to a new server.  In the process I
thought I'd try and use mharc to process the lists instead of the
current configuration which uses mhonarc commands from the
/etc/mail/aliases file (I know that's not the best way of handling it).
I've attached a sample mhrc file from one our archives if that will
help.  All of the archives use basically the same resource file.

mharc has its own way of doing things.  mharc uses a cron-based
model of archiving.  If you want to use a /etc/mail/aliases approach,
then you would have to avoid using read-mail script (and the
filter-spool script it calls).  Your /etc/mail/aliases process
would have to filter the mail into monthly (or yearly) spool files
in the same manner that the filter-spool script does (this is
what creates the raw mail archives).

Then, you would call the web-archive program to generate the HTML
archivies from the raw mail archives.  Now, since web-archive calls
namazu to update search indexes, having everything invoked via
/etc/mail/aliases is definitely not advised as you will experience
a high load and things will bottleneck if mail traffic is frequent.

Because of this, you should always call web-archive via a cron.
Hence, the /etc/mail/aliases can be used for the first step of
storing incoming messages in the raw archive location and cron is
used to update the HTML archives on a periodic basis.

What is required to importing existing MHonArc archives depends on
how the archives are managed.  If you have the raw, original mail,
then importing is quite easy.

If not, I do not know if it is worth trying to import.  If the
archives are organized in monthly/yearly chunks, you could drop them
right into mharc, but you should *NOT* ever try to do an archive
rebuild via mharc since it deletes the HTML archives and re-creates
from the raw mail archives.

You could probably avoid this problem by a clever use of symbolic
links.  I.e. You use symlinks under <mharc-root>/html/<list-name>
to refer to the old HTML-only archives located in a different location.
Therefore, if you do a 'make rebuild', only the symlinks will be
deleted.  You will still need to recreate the symlinks after the
rebuild.

If your archives for each list is just one big archive spanning
multiple months/years, you could drop into <mharc-root>/html/<list-name>
under a directory called "0000" which would represent old archive
mail of the list before mharc.  You still have the 'make rebuild'
warning mentioned above to deal with.

In sum, importing is possible, but the amount of work will vary
depending on the structure of your existing archives.  If you want
to use mharc for future archiving needs, but are still not sure how
to import the old stuff, you may need to get some hands-on help.

--ewh