mharc-users

Re: Porting existing archives into Mharc...

2002-07-08 16:18:25
On July 8, 2002 at 17:11, Sean M Alderman wrote:

As far as importing the existing archives in, since I don't have the raw
mail, I should start a fresh archive and link the old ones in as old
archives, I suppose that's fine, although I may have to do a dual setup
until a convenient date, no biggie.

You could try out the mhn2mbox script,
<http://www.albany.net/~anthonyw/mhonarc/mhn2mbox> to see if you
can get acceptable results that could then be easily importanted into
the new archives.

As far as doing a make rebuild
goes, can you give an example of why one would need to do this?  For
instance (purely hypothetical), if I make a change to lib/common.mrc.in
and run make configure, do I also need to run make rebuild to make the
configuration change apply to an existing archive?

Yes and no.  Depends on the changes you make.  Here are some
guidelines:

* If the changes are layout resource changes, and you want them to be
  applied to all existing archive pages, the you can run the

    make editidx

  command.  If your archives have alot of pages, this could take
  some time.  There are alternate make targets to just rebuild
  index pages.  Run 'make help' for a summary of what targets are
  available.

* If the changes are MIMEFILTERS and/or MIMEARGS that would affect
  message body appearance, or you change message header layout
  resources and you want the changes to apply to all existing archived
  messages, then you would have to do a 'make rebuild'.

  If you can live with the existing messages having the old message
  header and body formats, than you do not need to do a 'make rebuild'.

  NOTE: The navigational links and other non-message-specific data
  of message pages are modifiable with 'make editidx'.  In a nutshell,
  the "Converted message header" and "Converted message body" listed
  in the Page Layout section of the MHonArc docs for message pages
  are fixed once a new message has been converted.  All other parts
  can be modified at anytime.

In sum, 'make rebuild' should not have to be done, and should
be done sparely since it is an expensive operation.  'make rebuild'
is definitely handy of an archive gets corrupted.

TIP: You can limit the scope of operations to specific lists
by defining the MLISTS variable when invoking 'make'.  For example:

  make editidx MLISTS="mhonarc-users"

This can be useful to test any changes you make before processing
all lists.

NOTE: Some 'make' targets will diable auto-archive processing, as
documented.  Run 'make help' for a summary of which targets disable
auto-processing and what you can do to re-enable auto-processing.

--ewh

P.S.  I hope to get a new release of mharc out soon that includes
some fixes and enhancements.