mharc-users

Re: mharc Release: 0.6.2

2002-09-16 12:22:17
On September 16, 2002 at 20:34, Lars Jorgensen wrote:

This is very neat. I've created a Danish file for inclusion in the
distribution (at your discretion).

Thanks!  I will definitely include it.  Any contributions for other
languages are always welcome.

Why are the English variables defined both in common.mrc and in
_lang_en.mrc? Why not just <include> the _lang_en.mrc from common.mrc?
It would also make it easier for users to change the language settings.

True, but I want to minimize any impact of misconfiguration.  I.e.
If _lang_en.mrc cannot be included, then no text will be shown for
the navigational links.

Note, if you add at the bottom of common.mrc.in:

  <Include>
  @@MHA_RC_DIR@@/_lang_da.mrc
  </Include>

Then your Danish settings will override the default English ones.
Therefore, you do not have to delete out the existing settings since
any later settings will override them.

Note, I provide a useful tip in the installation documentation on how
to better handle customizations of the default resource file.  See
<http://www.mhonarc.org/mharc/doc/install.html#customizations>.  The
TIP shown is how I manage the resources for the mhonarc.org archives.

There's still work to do on localization; The "lists" page is in English
and the dates are in English.

I'll add it to my TODO list to see what can be done about this.
Since the meta-indexes are generated by the web-archive script and
are outside of the scope of MHonArc, some alternative method will
have to be used.  The html/.PNM.all-head.in and html/.PNM.all-foot.in
templates can be used to customize the pre- and post-markup of
the all-list table, but the table itself is hard-coded to English.

A question is if it will be desirable to actually have multiple
all-lists index pages for sites that want to support multiple languages,
or only support one, but allow it to be localized.  The later should
definitely be supported, but the former I am not sure if it worth
the effort.

Note, it is possible to have different languages on a per-archive
level by using archive-specific resource files in $MHA_RC_DIR.

By the way, is there any way to decide which header fields to include in
the html archive? My particular lists have no use of "reply-to" which is
present in all mails because of majordomo. Some mail clients include
fields like "Thread-index", "Thread-topic", "In-reply-to", "References",
  "Importance" and "Organization", and I really don't need to show them,
either.

Use the EXCS and/or FIELDORDER resources of MHonArc.

--ewh