mharc-users

Re: Install problems

2002-11-02 13:45:29
On November 2, 2002 at 21:13, "Sezer Yalcin" wrote:

I did not install namazu and mhonarc to root but installed them to
/home/user/ folder
MHONARC_LIB=
I am setting this in  config.sh and running "make configure" then running
install.me and it cannot find mhonarc library.  "make configure" does not
print an error.

What does the output of 'make mhonarc-check' generate?  If you
get an error, MHONARC_LIB needs to be set to the path of where
the mhonarc libraries are located.  I.e.  When you installed MHonArc,
the value you gave to install the library files would be the
value you use for MHONARC_LIB.

If you want install.pl to be better about finding mhonarc automatically,
make sure that the mhonarc program is located in your default search
path.

Note, if MHonArc's libraries are located in perl's default search
path, MHONARC_LIB can be left blank.

Fortunately script goes on despite errors and asks for a path to install.

It does quite on errors since many can be fixed post install.  If
you want to terminate install.pl, just enter Ctrl-C (which generally
terminates any running program).

Then it fails while creating /mbox folder.  Why do i need to be root for
such a mail parsing application?

No.  Check your file/directory permissions to make sure you have
write access.

It appears you are trying to install mharc relative to the root of
the filesystem.  Do not do this since the root user is generally the
only user that can manipulate files at that level.  What path did
you provide at the "Pathname to install mharc: " prompt?

I appreciate if someone tells whether this app can be installed on user
level or do i need to become root?

I do not know of anyone that runs mharc as root.  And according to the
docs, it should not be.

And a manual installation help page will
be more appreciated.

Manual install is easy.  Just extract the bundle where you want it to
be installed.  You will probably want to rename the "mharc-X.X.X"
directory to something else.  Then within the new directory, run
'make configure', it is okay if some errors occur.  Then edit
lib/config.sh to fit your needs and local configuration.  Then rerun
'make configure'.

But, I'd retry install.pl since it basically does all those steps
for you, and gives you the ability to edit config.sh.

In the future when reporting problems, please specify the version
of mharc you are using and copy of any diagnostic output of programs
that generate error messages.

--ewh