mharc-users

Re: new mail archive server

2003-06-13 23:52:44
On June 13, 2003 at 17:02, Peter Blajev wrote:

Great, it almost worked. :)

Since I don't have the original raw mail data I decided to go with mhn2mbox s
cript.

On my old machine I have directory support_arch created by MHonArc with a bun
ch of
msg??????.html, bin?????.bin, doc?????.doc and so on files.
So I converted this derectory to a mbox file:
      mhn2mbox support_arch support_arch.mbox

Copied support_arch.mbox file to the target machine as ./mbox/support_arch/20
03 file
and ran: make rebuild

Note, you may want to look at the mbox-month-pack script as another way
to import support_arch.mbox.

It worked, but some of the messages on the new servers shows with all HTML ta
gs.
For example:
- one message on the old server:
      ---
      Due to day care problems
      Maria will be in from around 8:30 to 11 then 2-5.
      ---

- the same message on the new server:
      ---
      font-family:Arial'>Due to day care problems &#8211; <font
      size=2 face=Arial>Mari<font
      size=2 face=Arial>a will be in
      from around <font size=2
      face=Arial>8:30<font
      size=2 face=Arial> to 11 then 2-5.
      font-family:Arial'>
      ---

I really couldn't find the solution looking at the documentation.

I'm not familiar with mhn2mbox.  My guess is that mhn2mbox had problems
determining what the content-type for the original message was.  My
guess is that the offending messages used to be multipart/alternative
messages with a HTML and plain text part.  A quick look at the script
tells me that mhn2mbox assumes a text/plain content-type.

A possible patch, or configurable option, is to have mhn2mbox to
treat the message body as text/html and preserve the text data "as-is"
instead of converting it back to text/plain.   Or, have a hack option
that if multipart/alternative was the original type, use text/html
as the main text type instead of text/html.

You may want to contact the author of mhn2mbox.

--ewh