mharc-users

Re: Distribution Lists

2003-09-04 10:38:51
On September 4, 2003 at 17:18, John Howard - DigiLab wrote:

I'm attempting to use mharc/mhonarc to capture support emails sent to an
Exchange distribution list.

Email is sent by an individual to the distribution list so it's not a
mailing list in the true sense, more a mail exploder, i.e.

From: Joe Blogs <joe(_dot_)blogs(_at_)myco(_dot_)uk>
To: Ferret Catchers <dist_list(_at_)myco(_dot_)uk> <=== which is a long list
of
aliases.

You receive an email as if it had been posted to you by the original sender,
not the list.

If the To: contains the list name (dist_list(_at_)myco(_dot_)uk), you can
specify
that address in lists.def.  For example,

  Name: support-archive
  Address: dist_list(_at_)myco(_dot_)uk

Basically, if there is some part of the message header that exists
that identifies your support mail, you will key off that.  In the
example you provided, it appears that the receipient address is the
key, so the standard Address option in lists.def can be used.

Is there a way of using mharc as I'd like a simpler way of managing multiple
distribution lists than having to configure mhonarc for each.

mharc uses procmail for initial filtering, so you basically have the full
filtering capabilities of procmail for identifying which messages
go to which archives.

lists.def allow you to define multiple archives.  The Name: option
starts a new archive definition, and you can have as many as you want.

--ewh