mharc-users

Re: Getting old messages into an archive?

2003-10-31 10:08:02
On October 30, 2003 at 17:57, Mike Bailey wrote:

Hi!  Once I have all my archives properly defined (see my previous
message), is there some way that I can tell mharc to go back into a
_really_ large mbox file that contains all of the messages for the
past five years and process them?

What I did when moving old message to mharc was take the archive mbox
file and move it to the location that mharc is set to check for the
incoming mail.  This location is defined by 'ORGMAIL' in the config.sh
script.

You have to be careful with doing this if ORGMAIL points to something
that get modified by an MTA or other process.

An alternative is to copy the old mbox file to "<mharc-root>/.newmail".
Before copying, just check that mharc is not doing any processing
to avoid potential conflicts when copying.  Once copied, the next
time mharc scripts run, they will process your messages.

Another solution is to use the mbox-month-pack script to import the
data directly into the raw mail archives.  Sometimes this can be
safer in case your old message contain different address information
not reflected in lists.def.  Again, make sure no mharc scripts are
running at the time you run mbox-month-pack.

--ewh