mhonarc-dev

mod_perl [was: Newbie...]

2003-02-06 08:19:19
(discussion started on the users list)

A couple of years ago, I struggled with making a program mod_perl ready, and I got some advise from a programmer who sets up mod_perl installations professionally.

As regards the name space 'main', he emphasized that I couldn't use any global variables in main, while 'my' variables in main was okay.

Earl Hood wrote:
You may want to add a package statement at the beginning of mhastart.pl
to make sure it runs in a different namespace than main.

Since there are no global variables in mhastart.pl, I don't think it's necessary (see above). Nevertheless, it can't hurt...

Since mhastart.pl would stay loaded,

Would it? I thought it would be the modules that stayed loaded. 'My advisor' prompted me to move as much as possible from CGI files to module files for that reason.

MHonArc is coded to supported embedded usage (via mhamain.pl)
and have the ability to processing multiple archives (sequently)
in a single process, so I believe MHonArc should be okay.

One thing strucks me: The MHonArc modules are Perl4 style. Would they still be kept loaded under mod_perl?

However,
I would definitely do some test runs to see that things work as
expected and to monitor memory usage.  After an archive is processed,
the internal data structures will still be present until the next call
to mhonarc::process_input().  Therefore, a memory footprint will stay
around until Apache reaps the child process.
If mhastart.pl is only going
to be invoked occassionaly, traditional CGI invocations should be
sufficient and it makes sure that things get "cleaned" up properly.

Shouldn't we better advise Bill to stick with CGI for the time being?

/ Gunnar