mhonarc-users

Re: CGI Program Works, But Not Every Time

1997-04-23 11:14:50
Two tea leaves to throw into the pot:

#1:

With Lynx 2.7 I get consistent behavior:  The first time I exercise
the URL

http://www.uwm.edu/cgi-bin/mwilson/marc-search.cgi

I get an invisible page.  When I reload, I get an OK page.
Something is funny between the first and second hits against that
URL at that server.  And HTTP is supposed to be stateless.  I
would suspect a bug somewhere between the server and script such
that it takes one hit from a given correspondent to clear its
throat.

#2:

On your alternate search page, there is an HTML bug in the header
line:

<h1=3><center>Search the archives in this directory</h3></center>
  ^^ -- looks like you reached for <BACKSPACE> and hit '=' instead.

Note also: Please don't interdigitate your tags like that:

<h3><center>...</h3></center>

If you want to force centering and aren't happy to accept what the
browser does in its environment with <h3> I suggest that you forget
header tags altogether and just make this a

and be done with it.

--
Al Gilman