mhonarc-users

Re: Reverse indexes and mesg numbers (was private)

1997-06-24 03:23:40
No.  Message numbers NEVER change.  Once a message is archived, the
number assigned to it never changes.  It is possible that a number may
be reused once the owner of the number is removed from the archived
(and this is only if newer processed messages are removed).

BTW, it is practically impossible to assign numbers in reverse order.
This would require that all messages get reassignments on message
numbers when new messages are added (an extremely expensive
operation).

You need to double-check things and see if your statement is really
valid.

Right, I misunderstood the problem. Now it looks like this: when creating
the archive, I assigned MSGPREFIX resource as follows:

<MSGPREFIX>
messages/mail
</MSGPREFIX>

to keep the messages in "messages" subdirectory. Archive is reverse sorted,
but it doesn't matter actually. When I added new messages to the archive,
they where assigned numbers starting at 00000, and new messages overwrote
older ones.

However, when I repeated the whole procedure (created archive, and then
added new messages) with MSGPREFIX as just "mail" (without subdirectory),
everything worked just fine.

So something is wrong with subdirectory handling.

-- Timur.