mhonarc-users

Re: NT and MHonArc

1997-09-11 15:14:27
Steve Pacenka wrote:
At 01:45 PM 9/11/97 -0400, Kevin M. Andres wrote:
I will be migrating several web sites to an NT-based architecture in the
next several weeks.  The previous OS for the sites has been Linux and
Sun Solaris.  Is anyone aware of any special issues I may encounter with
Mhonarc, I plan to use Sendmail but have been considering MS Exchange?
Any experience?

1. MHonArc works well under DOS and Win95, thanks to Earl's very portable
code and the quality of the Perl ports to DOS and Win32.  It uses the
following code (in osinit.pl) to determine if it is running on DOSish
platform like this (as opposed to a Unixish one):

    if (($tmp = $ENV{'COMSPEC'}) && ($tmp =~ /[a-zA-Z]:\\/) && (-e $tmp)) {

With 5.003 the special variable $^O was introduced.  It's existance (for
older perls) and the NT specific value could be used to determine the
operation system.

  $^O     The name of the operating system under which this copy of Perl was
          built, as determined during the configuration process.  The value
          is identical to $Config{'osname'}.

Try

        perl -le 'print $^O'

to see what's used on NT.  (Since 5.004 a NT port is part of the
official perl distribution)

Achim