mhonarc-users

Re: Handling application/octet-stream

1997-11-23 05:46:38
I've read the recent posts about

        Handling application/octet-stream

on this list and think one should separate the philosophical issues from
the practical ones. Fact is

  * MS products lately simly send *all* attachments with a Content-Type of
    application/octet-stream, including HTML and GIF. So the issue isn't
    about getting some MS specific format, like PowerPoint, right, but to
    handle simple HTML text attachments !

  * Some older versions of mailers, PINE for example (!), send .html files
    with a content type of TEXT/PLAIN, at least with their default
    configuration.

To handle that I wrote a little filter, which looks for lines like

and changes the Content-Type based on the suffix of the file name.

I wonder whether such a mapping shouldn't be included in MHonArc, either

 * as integrated, configurable component
 * or as a filter included in the extras/ directory.

--
Walter F.J. Mueller   Mail:  W(_dot_)F(_dot_)J(_dot_)Mueller(_at_)gsi(_dot_)de
GSI,  Abteilung KP3   Phone: +49-6159-71-2766