mhonarc-users

Re: adding new messages: Memory Fault

1997-12-17 11:02:27
* Putting the pipe command in a .forward file works under all circumstances
  (so far as I can tell).

* Using a sendmail alias for the pipe command gives the following behavior:
        * new messages                  (die with the memory fault)
        * forwarded messages            (die with the memory fault)
        * bounced (redirected) messages (go through mhonarc without a problem
)

This is occurring on a DEC Alpha running Digital UNIX 4.0B with
perl5 (5.004.01) with 384 MB of RAM.

It's hard to provide much help since none of us can test things out on
your system.  However, here are some of my initial thoughts:

        o  What version of sendmail are you using?  Is it the
           sendmail that came with the DEC Alpha, or something
           different?  Maybe you have a buggy port.

        o  It is possible that sendmail is treating pipe commands
           differently between .forward settings and /etc/mail/aliases
           settings.  I.e.  A different environment may be established
           between the two different invocation methods.  Maybe pipes
           from aliases run with more restrictions than those from
           .forward.  If I am not mistakem, sendmail will set the uid
           of the piped processed differently when invoking from
           aliases from .forward.  For example, thru .forward, the uid
           will be set to the uid of the user of the .forward.  For
           aliases pipes, a uid like "daemon" (what Solaris sendmail
           does) is used.  This can imply different process limits
           (like how much memory the process can allocate) between the
           2 different uids.

           You might want to check what uids are in effect and
           verify the limits associated with the uids.

Unfortunately, my sendmail book is at home, so I cannot check it to see
what other factors may be involved (and to verify my above
statements).  If you have access to the O'Reilly sendmail book, it may
help you out.