mhonarc-users

Configuring marc-search

1998-01-14 11:02:21
Help!

I'm trying to install Marc-search for my archives, but with
no luck so far -- I've read all the docs, and looked at my
archive of this list, but I'm none the wiser :(

I know nothing about Perl, tho I'm a pretty comptetent
HTMLer, C programmer, DOS hacker etc -- it's just that
CGI and Perl are new to me.

Could someone be kind enough to tell me what I need to do?

I'm setting it all up on my Win 3.11 system, so I can't
really test it all locally before installing it on the
commercial webspace.

Here's the score:

I have virtual webspace at www.something.org; my CGI directory is
/cgi, and I can create as many subdirectories of this as needed.

The archive I want to search is in subdirectories of
/list/archive

(However, when I ftp into my site, all the website is at
ftp.something.org/website/ -- all the directory names I've
given are as viewed from the web, where
www.something.org = ftp.something.org/website/)

I have created a directory called /help for the Marc-Search
help file, and put it in there, but beyond this, I'm not sure what to
do.

I don't know what mods to make to the cgi script itself, and
where to put the cgi_lite stuff that I also downloaded, and
which I'm told I need (the provider says there's nothing
appropriate installed by default).

Could someone be kind enough to give me an idiots's guide to
what I need to do with all this stuff to make it work?

Thanks!
Claire

--
Claire McNab -- Claire(_at_)siberia(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk