mhonarc-users

DOCTYPE, TARGET, and some MIMEArgs

1998-07-28 12:33:36
Dear all!

I have finally gotten about to start using MHonarc, and have set up a
rather long RC-file, with lots of stuff, I try lots of different
HTML-stuff, and I'll be writing a stylesheet eventually.

Anyway, I want to use the HTML 4.0 Strict DTD, and I have included the
appropriate <IdxPgBegin><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
4.0//EN">

The problem is that W3C validator won't validate the messages, because
of the SGML-comments at the top. Curiously, it does validate the
maillist.html and threads.html files. Can it be that there is a limit
for how many lines you can have? Can I do anything about it? It may
perhaps be a good idea to have a resource for the DOCTYPE, and make sure
it is always the first line.

Also, as far as I recall, the TARGET attribute only appears in the
Frameset DTD, so the validator complains about it (after I removed the
comments).
I tried to set text/plain; target=, but that didn't work (my other
problem), but I don't know if that would have removed the attribute...?
Anyway, as long as no frames are in use, I think it would be better not
to include the attribute at all.

My other problem is that I can't get the built-in text/plain filter to
work as I want. I have tried most things from:
<MIMEArgs>
text/plain; default=iso-8859-1
text/plain; nonfixed
text/plain; quote
text/plain; target=
</MIMEArgs>
<MIMEArgs>
text/plain:nonfixed
text/plain:quote
</MIMEArgs>

In most cases, it seems like the italization works, but not the rest of
it.
One alternative I'm seriously considering is to add the prop font in a
stylesheet.

My archive is at
<URL:http://www.skepsis.no/maillist/arkiver/skepsis/H98/> (this is
LANG=no, BTW, and as I said, the HTML is quite experimental...) and my
rcfile is at
<URL:http://www.skepsis.no/test/mhonarcrc>

Friendly Tiddely-pom,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Graduate astronomy-student                       University of Oslo,