mhonarc-users

Re: DOCTYPE, TARGET, and some MIMEArgs

1998-07-30 20:48:35
On July 30, 1998 at 11:49, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

The W3C validator is incorrect.

I'm sure they would love to hear about it... Should I drop them a note?

You might.

Your documentation says:
default=charset
                Character set to use as the default if no character set is
                defined for the message. If option not specified,
                "us-ascii" is used.

Correct.  To be more specific, if no charset is specified, the filter
will leave 8-bit characters "as-is".  The filter quietly assumes
iso-8859-1 is the default charset that is used by the web browser.
This can be a bad assumption if it is not.  The reason for this
behavior is that alot of overhead would occur if the filter converted
8-bit characters to entity references (it will do this for
iso-8859-[2-10] unless instructed not to so).

To be safe, you can keep the default= setting you have in-case
the filter's behavior changes.

        --ewh

----
             Earl Hood              | University of California: Irvine
      ehood(_at_)medusa(_dot_)acs(_dot_)uci(_dot_)edu      |      Electronic
Loiterer
http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/ | Dabbler of SGML/WWW/Perl/MIME