mhonarc-users

Huge long lines in archives

1999-01-26 08:02:33
Hi all

I wonder if anyone can give me any advice on dealing with a nasty
little formatting problem.  I'm using Mhonarc 2.1.0 to archive two
mailing lists hosted off my site, and I build the archives locally
from std unix-format mailboxes using the DJGPP port of Perl 5.004
under DOS.

Some of my list members post with ridiculously long line lengths
(one has hers set to about 130 -- aargh!), and others (particularly
those using the MS Outlook Express) post with HTML set on -- despite
being repeatedly asked not to :(  The latter posts have the HTML
part stripped out by by the list server (Listserv 1.8D), but that
leaves the message body to be sent with each paraphgraph
MIME-encoded to come out as one long line -- relying on the
recipient's mailer to wrap it.  That's antisocial, because lots of
mailer's *don't* wrap at all, or don't wrap infinitely-long lines
... but more importantly it means that Mhonarc builds the archives
with each parapgraph as a single huge long line :(

I'm trying to persuade my users not to do this, but some posts still
slip through, and so far the only solution I've found is either to
hand-edit the mailbox to remove these horrors, or to hand-edit the
archive's HTML files.  Neither is a fun job :(    And as OE becomes
more popular as a mailer, I can see that this problem will only get
worse.

Does the current release of Mhonarc (2.3.3, IIRC?) handle this
problem more elegantly?

Version 2.1.0 I runs wonderfully, so I've never upgraded to the newer
versions of Mhonarc, but a site redesign is going to force a rebuild
of the entire archives, so I thought it would be a good time to
upgrade.  I'm just wondering whether this problem has been addressed
in later versions, or if there is any way I can build in some code to
handle this situation?

Best wishes,
Claire

--
Claire McNab -- Claire(_at_)siberia(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk