mhonarc-users

mailto with MSGID

1999-03-25 04:43:23
The post about the RFC 2369 headers got me to thinking about something I
tried to get to work.

I'm as happy as a pig in mud with our archives (Great job Earl. Thanks!!!)
and got to rootin around and decided I wanted a way to let people reply
from messages in the archive to our mailing list.

I played with the MAILTOURL. My 'plan' was to add the Subject: and the
message id from the original message. I saw:

<MailToURL>
/cgi-bin/mailform.cgi?to=$FROM$;subject=$SUBJECT$;srcid=$MSGID$
</MailToURL>

and decided to try to use HTML's mailto to move the 'behavior' to the
client.

I ran into problems...

I use Netscape 4.5 and the mailto worked, sorta. It added the Subject: but
when I tried to add an in-reply-to: message header with the MSGID in it, I
would get an ugly partial copy of the e-mail.

I tried using both POST and GET, on the of chance that would help.

I don't know much HTML, am I trying to build a silk purse out of a sow's
ear with mailto?

Thanks,

Gary

Here's a copy of what I did. It may not work, I stopped working on it and
the following may be in the' muck around with it to see if I can stumble
onto something that works' state.

<TopLinks>
<HR>
$BUTTON(PREV)$$BUTTON(NEXT)$$BUTTON(TPREV)$$BUTTON(TNEXT)$
[<A HREF="$IDXFNAME$#$MSGNUM$">Date Index</A>]
[<A HREF="$TIDXFNAME$#$MSGNUM$">Thread Index</A>]
<script language="javascript">
// POP UP A PREFORMATTED EMAIL MESSAGE WINDOW
function popupMessage() {

  // SET MESSAGE VALUES
  var to = "ooh(_at_)jsoft(_dot_)com";
  var subject = "Re: $SUBJECTNA$";
  var references = "$MSGID$";

  // BUILD MAIL MESSAGE COMPONENTS
  var doc = "mailto:"; + to +
      "?subject=" + escape(subject) +
      "&in-reply-to=" + escape(references);

  // POP UP EMAIL MESSAGE WINDOW
  window.location = doc;
}
</script>
<FORM>
<INPUT TYPE=BUTTON NAME=Test Value="Reply to list"
onClick="popupMessage()">
</FORM>

<FORM METHOD="post" ENCTYPE="text/plain"
ACTION="mailto:ooh(_at_)jsoft(_dot_)com" TITLE="The Subject">
<INPUT TYPE=BUTTON NAME=Test1 Value="test post">
</FORM>

</TopLinks>

--
gary(_dot_)frederick(_at_)jsoft(_dot_)com
husband to Susan, father to Elizabeth

temporary address, don't send ANYTHING here, we're fixin to move (-:
726 E. Roy Harris Loop
Conroe, Texas

it's turtles all the way down...