mhonarc-users

Any interest in supporting a Java search engine for MHonArc?

1999-10-01 17:15:25
I manage a number of mailing lists where people contribute an enormous
amount of useful information.  Unhappily, due to space limitations at my
web-host, I can only keep the most recent 3 or 4 months of messages on-
line.

Since I have kept (off-site) virtually every messages since the list
began, I plan on building an archive on my Linux box and burning the whole
thing to a CD-Rom.

The problem is that I wouldn't be able use use a regular cgi-bin based
search engine (like Wilma/Glimpse or MarcSearch) against the archives on
the CD-Rom.

I have since realized that a Java based applet would fill the bill.

Unhappily, an extensive search has shown that the available
(commercial/share/free-ware) engines either don't serve my needs or are
prohibitively expensive (especially as I might be providing copies of the
archive to 100's of people).

In looking around for alternatives I ran across a number of sites where
one could "request" some software for open development, solicit
"proposals" from developers and gather "interest" from other folks who'd
like to see the software built.  Interested parties commit to putting up
some bucks to fund the development.

I figure if we could get 20 or 30 people to put up $20.00 (USD) each, we
could probably attract a Java developer to do the work.

If you'd be interested in helping support(fund) and/or develop
specifications for a MHonArc-specific Java based search engine please drop
me a note.  If there is sufficient interest, I'll set up a mailing list at
one of the freebie hosting services where we can hash things out.

If you think I'm entirely out in left field, forgive the intrusion, but
please *do* drop me a note and tell me why you think this wouldn't work.

I look forward to hearing from interested parties.

Simeon
--
snevel(_at_)sonic(_dot_)net      =-=-=-=-=   A rabbit is just an angel with big
ears!