mhonarc-users

Re: Any interest in supporting a Java search engine for MHonArc?

1999-10-03 16:21:54
Hello,

On 2 Oct 99, at 14:48, Earl Hood wrote:
Since I believe you want a search engine to function within
Web client (hence the idea of using Java), you could have a small
web
server on the CD that the persons starts for search-based browsing.

Something like HTTPi (http://stockholm.ptloma.edu/httpi/) could
be used.  It is a pure Perl webserver.  I think currently, it
only functions on Unix-type systems since it uses fork().  Unsure
if
Perl 5.6 will allow fork()-based programs to run (effectively)
under
Win32.

Another alternative could be:

mhttpd
A fast, minimal web server in a single C source file. Supports http
basic authentication with text file or LDAP. Also supports SSL.
Platform - Unix. Language - C.
http://www.fccc.edu/users/muquit/mhttpd/mhttpd.html

An advantage of the mini-server approach is that clients that
do not support Java (like Lynx), or Java is not activated for
security concerns, can do searching against the archives.  No
client-side applet is needed.  Regular HTML forms can be used.

BTW, a Java applet will not be enough.  Java puts many restrictions
on
applets for security reasons, so you will not be able to due file
I/O.
You will need server the web client can communicate with, where
the
server does the file I/O operations.

Unhappily, an extensive search has shown that the available
(commercial/share/free-ware) engines either don't serve my needs
or
are prohibitively expensive (especially as I might be providing
copies of the archive to 100's of people).

With how Java has been deployed, you have an atmosphere where many
Java programs are proprietary.  Not as open source (free) as the
Perl
community.

In looking around for alternatives I ran across a number of sites
where one could "request" some software for open development,
solicit "proposals" from developers and gather "interest" from
other
folks who'd like to see the software built.  Interested parties
commit to putting up some bucks to fund the development.

I figure if we could get 20 or 30 people to put up $20.00 (USD)
each, we could probably attract a Java developer to do the work.

If you'd be interested in helping support(fund) and/or develop
specifications for a MHonArc-specific Java based search engine
please drop me a note.  If there is sufficient interest, I'll set
up
a mailing list at one of the freebie hosting services where we
can
hash things out.

If you take the search index approach, you will need a
platform-independent index file (if you are supporting multiple
OS's).
If an existing search engine can create platform-independent index
files, all you would need to build is the search client.

If you think I'm entirely out in left field, forgive the
intrusion,
but please *do* drop me a note and tell me why you think this
wouldn't work.

O'reilly uses a Java server application for the The Perl CD
Bookshelf.

Probably Earl is referring to the same firm (O´Reilly is a client of
them) but I found the following  who have developed a Java server
application is:

http://www.astaware.com
ASTAware suite of products gives you the ability to add search
functionality to web-based publications - Internet or intranet both
online and CD-ROM. It is multi-platform, multi-browser, search engine
software for CD-ROM.

It is not for free but you can ask for a free demo CD!

Regards,

-brt

   Bert Hiddink, FUNDACION GALILEO
   Correo electronico: hiddink(_at_)galileo(_dot_)or(_dot_)cr
   Sitio: http://www.galileo.or.cr
   Tel. (506) 280 8683, telefax. (506) 280 8847