mhonarc-users

Re[2]: postprocessing filter for archive files

1999-12-13 21:06:52
Thank you for your reply. Sorry my question was not clear.

Q: How/where to attach an existing filter (e.g. shell script, perl
or any executable) to mhonarc when when it writes a new HTML
message or index file.

I want to use mhonarc to htmlconvert mail folders that include
Japanese characters.

Mail folders are encoded in JIS. Mhonarc correctly processes this,
and, as far as I can see, outputs correct JIS.

But HTML files should be in Shift-JIS or EUC, not JIS.
This for three reasons:
 1 - the resulting HTML is human-readable
 2 - the resulting HTML is machine-searchable
     e.g. ht:/dig will do just fine with EUC
 3 - the resulting HTML can be tagged with the specific
     character set, e.g. for EUC:
   <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;CHARSET=x-euc-jp">
     on a *per-document* basis for reliable delivery.

http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/cgi-bin/w3glimpse2html/mhonarc/1999-03/msg00056.html?53#mfs
add character encoding information to the server configuration.
This would limit your server to documents of one common encoding,
so I believe per-document encoding is preferable.

and
http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/cgi-bin/w3glimpse2html/mhonarc/1999-03/msg00055.html?66#mfs
to exploit browser heuristics. These are easy to break and
I would rather serve correct documents.

Filters to convert from JIS to Shift-JIS or to EUC are widely
available, also for other multibyte languages.
If properly integrated into mhonarc I believe it will be
straightforward to build multi-cultural mailing list web archives.

Please let me know if one of my premises is flawed or if
I overlooked functionality that is already available in MHonarc.

Oskar
oskar(_at_)ifcompter(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp