mhonarc-users

Subject threading and In-Reply-To

2000-12-15 17:16:57
Hello all,

I am new to this list, but I have gone through the archive using various search terms and haven't been able to find any discussion on my problem. I am also new to mhonarc .

I am involved with a mailing list that has 500 or so members using a variety of mail clients. Some of these correctly support the In-Reply-To header others don't. The problem is that some (many I suspect) people will start a new thread by doing a reply-to an existing thread and then changing the subject - so we can end up with threading like:

[PROTEL EDA USERS]: Protel / Specctra problems, Todd Conard
·  Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Protel / Specctra problems, Michael Reagan
· · [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Drill Drawing symbol reference chart, D. Chris Mackensen · · RE: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Drill Drawing symbol reference chart, Tony Karavidas · · Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Drill Drawing symbol reference chart, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax · · Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Drill Drawing symbol reference chart, Geoff Harland
·  .       Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Protel / Specctra problems, Todd Conard
·  ·  .       Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Protel / Specctra problems, Peter Bennett
·  ·  .       Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Protel / Specctra problems, Michael Reagan
·  .       [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Sch3 Library Editor Defaults., Ian
·  ·  .       RE: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Sch3 Library Editor Defaults., Eric
Bobillier

Clearly there are actually three threads here. How can I best get the archive to thread something like this? I want the thread based view but it would good if the threading was a little more reliable.

I have requested that people start a new message (and hence thread) when they want to create a new discussion thread but not everyone will wish to do this.

thanks,
Ian Wilson