mhonarc-users

Re: Subject threading and In-Reply-To

2000-12-15 19:25:36
Hi Ian,

I don't think there's any "perfect" solution to reliable threading
because much of it depends on the mail client, but your example confuses
me, in that it should thread better than it does _unless_ the square
brackets or full colon is confusing the MHonArc parsing engine?

On my own system I implemented a hack posted by Earl a while back to
make threading case sensitive which helped a lot in my own environment,
but I don't think this would help for your example.

Is there any way you can loose the square brackets and full colon?

Ian Wilson wrote:

Hello all,

I am new to this list, but I have gone through the archive using various
search terms and haven't been able to find any discussion on my problem.  I
am also new to mhonarc .

I am involved with a mailing list that has 500 or so members using a
variety of mail clients.  Some of these correctly support the In-Reply-To
header others don't.  The problem is that some (many I suspect) people will
start a new thread by doing a reply-to an existing thread and then changing
the subject - so we can end up with threading like:

[PROTEL EDA USERS]: Protel / Specctra problems, Todd Conard
·       Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Protel / Specctra problems, Michael Reagan
·       ·       [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Drill Drawing symbol reference chart, D.
Chris
Mackensen
·       ·               RE: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Drill Drawing symbol
reference chart, Tony
Karavidas
·       ·               Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Drill Drawing symbol
reference chart, Abd
ul-Rahman Lomax
·       ·               Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Drill Drawing symbol
reference chart, Geoff
Harland
·       .       Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Protel / Specctra problems, Todd
Conard
·       ·       .       Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Protel / Specctra problems,
Peter Bennett
·       ·       .       Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Protel / Specctra problems,
Michael Reagan
·       .       [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Sch3 Library Editor Defaults., Ian
·       ·       .       RE: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Sch3 Library Editor
Defaults., Eric Bobillier

Clearly there are actually three threads here.  How can I best get the
archive to thread something like this? I want the thread based view but it
would good if the threading was a little more reliable.

I have requested that people start a new message (and hence thread) when
they want to create a new discussion thread but not everyone will wish to
do this.

thanks,
Ian Wilson

--