mhonarc-users

Re: Subject-only thread order

2001-01-16 20:26:09
Gerry Hickman wrote:

The original question (Msg 00007) occurs at the lowest index number and
the earliest time, but some other message has been picked as the top of
the thread.

I have seen similar behaviour caused by "date/time" stamps being earlier
in replies than they were in original posts. This was happening with the
list-server component of the Mercury/32 mail server in that the list
server was using the "sent" date (as in message headers) and the mail
client (of the original post) had been using the "received" date (as in
MTA headers). This was causing "back to front" threading and was solved
by "forcing" MHonArc to choose one or the other (setting in the rc
file).

Thanks, but in this case there *is* only one date associated with each
message.  I created the mbox file from our old HTML mail archive files,
which deleted all message headers except From, Subject, Date and
Message-Id.  While this will be changing for new stuff, I have to deal
with archives going back to 1994 which do still get used.

The problem only seems to occur when the original question is from Europe
and replies come fairly quickly from the US (which is where the
list-server & archive are).  This would imply something funny with the
Date and timezone conversions, although there seems to be code in MHonArc
to deal with that AFAICS.  I haven't looked at it in detail yet though.

I've just tried setting the <DateFields> resource to date:received, but
that didn't make any difference.

- Andrew
--
Every great idea appears crazy to start with.