mhonarc-users

Re: Original source file name?

2001-05-30 18:00:24
On May 30, 2001 at 12:27, J C Lawrence wrote:

When running MHonArc across an MH-style mailstore, is it possible to
get the name of the physical file that resulted in a particular HTML
message?

No.

I thought I saw this previously in the docs, but I'm missing it now.
I'm looking to add the ability to my web archives of resending a
given message from the mailstore to a provided address, and would
like to send the original message exactly as received (straight SMTP
to localhost with a new RCPT TO).

I think sites that provide access to the original raw data use the
message-id as a handle for getting to it since MHonArc gives you
access to the message-id.  Therefore, whatever storage system you
use for the raw data, you will need to be able to find messages
by message-id.

Since you mentioned that you have a MH-style mailstore, how difficult
would it be to have the filename of each message be the actual
message-id?  Therefore, you can access the original mail message
just by a simple file open operation using the message-id as the
filename (with whatever pathname prefix).