mhonarc-users

Re: Newbie Questions

2004-11-08 17:26:16
On November 8, 2004 at 15:28, "Patrick Lester" wrote:

    (1) After the initial installation, is there a web page you can go to
on your site that is a MHonArc home page or something?

Not sure what you asking, but one of the index pages (maillist.html or
threads.html) can serve as the main page for an archive.  The filenames
are configurable.

If you plan on having multiple archives, mhonarc does not create a
"main" page for all archives.  You either have to do that manually
or use something like mharc, <http://www.mhonarc.org/mharc/>.

    (2) For some reason, if I type in any commands other than mhonarch -v
I get a message telling me what the proper monarch usage is, and then a
long list of commands.  However, if I type in a command like mhonarc
-reverse, I still get this same message.  What am I doing wrong?

You need to specify a mail folder to process.

    (3) In the documentation, under 'Quick Start', it talks about how to
convert a pre-existing MH mail folder or UUCP/Unix mailbox file. I don't
know what those are, but I know my server uses Apache/Unix (Redhat I
think?).  I create email accounts via a control panel on my system, and
access them with Outlook Express using standard SMTP and POP info.  I
don't know where this mail is kept on the server, or how to access it. Is
there any documentation that explains this in a bit more detail?

It looks like you will need to have a script that performs a POP download
of mail that will then be piped into mhonarc.  There are multiple ways
to do this.

    (4) Based on the above, am I hopelessly out of my depth here?

What you have described is not out of the ordinary, but requires a
little more work than just installing mhonarc.

    (5) How do I uninstall MHonArc?

Just delete the installed files manually.  If you use the RPM-based
distribution, then rpm can be used to install and uninstall mhonarc
in a convenient fashion.  However, one typically needs to have root
access to the system to do RPM-based installation.