Re: Proper use of -Y, --no-delete option

2001-10-03 07:33:26
On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:19:20 -0700
Earl Hood <ehood(_at_)hydra(_dot_)acs(_dot_)uci(_dot_)edu> wrote:

My question is, "Is this a proper use of this option?"  It appears
to be so, but the description of it does lead to some doubt since
there is --update option with sematics I am not sure about.

It's a way of indexing many many files without enough memory.
But -Y option means ignoring deleted files, so deleted files
are still in index.

Will there be any
search performance degradation using this method of updating?

File updating or deleting always makes garbage in the index that mknmz
created. If files to index are very changable or deleted very often,
you can get rid of garbage in index file to use "gcnmz" utility.

$ gcnmz /path/to/the/index/

// Kenji