[Namazu-users-en] Problems with mknmz and Perl 5.8.6

2005-06-10 19:26:58
Before I eat up alot of time trying to fix a problem, is any one else
use namazu with Perl 5.8.6 (or at least Perl 5.8.x)?  Anyone do
any testing with it?

I am definitely having problems with resulting search index, with
some search terms providing no hits (but get hits under perl 5.6.1).

My initial guess has to do with the PerlIO layer and file encodings
since I get "Wide character in print ..." warnings from perl.

To give an example of the problems check out the following URL:

<http://www.mhonarc.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%2Bfrom%3Aearl&submit=Search%21&idxname=namazu-users-en&max=10&result=normal&sort=score>

This is a "+from:earl" search.  Notice how the subject links in the
results are clipped.  The first parts of the subject text is not
printed.  However, examining NMZ.fields.subject shows that the complete
subjects are present.

Trying to a regular text search, like for "PHP", produces no results,
but there are definitely messages with the term PHP in it, and doing
a search at search.namazu.org:

<http://search.namazu.org/cgi-bin/en/namazu.cgi?query=PHP&submit=Search%21&lang=en&max=20&result=normal&sort=date%3Alate&idxname=namazu-users-en&idxname=old-namazu-users-en>

on the same data provides hits.  I did a test index run with Perl 5.6.1
on the data, and everything appears to work as expected.

Also, the "Malformed UTF-8 ..." warnings are popping up, regardles
of what LANG or LC_ALL are set to.  I had to add a 'use bytes' pragma
to mailnews.pl at line 212 to get rid of the warnings.

--ewh