Has anyone taught MH about the braindead Solaris 2.x maildrop format?

1995-05-31 22:16:46
I'm using MH 6.8.3.

Our mail server was recently "upgraded" to Solaris 2.4.  Sun, in their
infinite wisdom, decided to change the format of the /var/mail maildrop
from the traditional "\n\nFrom " separated messages to a new style, which
appears to be the "standard" SVr4 style maildrop (i.e. I looked at a
Unixware machine, and it claimed to use the same style maildrop).

In this SVr4 style maildrop, messages begin with "From " lines, but
the mail reader needs to dig thru the headers looking for a
of the message.  This length actually starts after then blank line
separating the headers from the message body, and extends up to, but not
including a trailing "\n", which terminates the message.  In other words,
the message starts with "From ", and ends with "\n", and the way you tell
which "\n" is the terminator is by find the "Content-Length:" and passing
through that many characters without inspection.

Note that within the body of the message, "From " lines can appear, as can
"\n\nFrom " strings (which MH 6.8.3 thinks is a message separator), without
any quoting whatsoever.

I dug through the code in sbr/m_getfld.c, and didn't see any code to
handle this braindamaged (IMO) format for a maildrop.

So, I thought I'd check and see if anyone else had decided to tackle this
thing.

Thanks for any info,

Dave Cohrs