Re: Has anyone taught MH about the braindead Solaris 2.x maildrop format?

1995-05-31 22:16:32
Our mail server was recently "upgraded" to Solaris 2.4.  Sun, in their
infinite wisdom, decided to change the format of the /var/mail maildrop
from the traditional "\n\nFrom " separated messages to a new style, which
appears to be the "standard" SVr4 style maildrop (i.e. I looked at a
Unixware machine, and it claimed to use the same style maildrop).

Two answers:
1)      This is described in the MH FAQ posted occasionally to
        comp.mail.mh and obtainable from rtfm.mit.edu.

2)      If there are any BSDish mail client machines NFS mounting the
        spool directory then you're screwed.  NFS mounting of the mail
        spool means that all the mail programs on all the clients need
        to agree with the mailbox format created on the mail server.
        MH needs to be recompiled with the patch enabled on not just
        the Solaris machines, but also any Sunos 4.x machines that NFS
        mount the mail spool.  You need to choose a standard that everyone
        can count on, and stick with it.

Philip Guenther

Philip Guenther                 UNIX Systems and Network Administrator
Internet: guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu   Phonenet: (507) 933-7596
Gustavus Adolphus College       St. Peter, MN 56082-1498
I am _not_ a representative sample of the Gustavus Community.  Yeah, right...