Re: miscellany/ cleanup

1996-03-09 14:50:45
"Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg(_at_)monkeys(_dot_)com> writes:
The general idea/trend of unbundling components annoys me however.  I hate
to have to scrounge for things that should have been included in the same
distribution with package XXX (where XXX is anything useful you might get
off the net).

  The example you gave was of something that was necessary to build
  the software.  Agreed, this is annoying.

  We are not (I don't think) proposing to remove anything vital to
  building MH, rather just the optional add-ons which makes your life
  easier.  Furthermore, the less directory is a great example of
  something that is totally expendable--most systems already come with
  a pager.  Ditto for the mh-e--GNU Emacs already comes with mh-e.

  Telling where to get these things is a fine compromise.  Ftping
  software isn't a hassle, finding the ftp site with the latest and
  greatest, non-locally-hacked, version is.

Bill Wohler <wohler(_at_)newt(_dot_)com>   ph: +1-415-854-1857  fax:
+1-415-854-3195
Say it with MIME.  Maintainer of comp.mail.mh and news.software.nn FAQs.