Re: Disappearing Scans

1998-02-04 14:24:09

It think this is an nmh problem (any objection).

I'm now running on nmh-0.21-pre2.

I'm on sunos.

I got bold...I didn't back up my .mh_sequences file.

This was not my inbox.

After a commit in exmh 2.0, I got a unseen sequence with one entry
(I should have several hundred unread messages...

My unseen sequence is still being eaten...

I'll go back again to being extra careful (rcs is my friend).

In message
<199802032214(_dot_)RAA13770(_at_)redwood(_dot_)math(_dot_)gatech(_dot_)edu>,
you write:
Well I'm running exmh 2.0 /2.0.1 and nmh 0.20 at home and work.

I've recently noticed a very disturbing problem of my .mh_sequences
file disappearing (I really appreciate the line length limitations
being lifted).

What I'm now doing:
     1) very carefully using rcs on my .mh_sequences file
     2) carefully sequencing my use (i.e. not trying to do
     multiple things concurrently)
     3) not using NFS (to make sure that wasn't a problem)

My .mh_sequences randomly disappeared.  I didn't see any place in
exmh where the .mh_sequences file is written directly (am I right?)

I did notice when I was being very careful a
     folder -pack
erase my .mh_sequences file
(what I'm doing is useful to recover a .mh_sequences file until I pack).

I think folder -pack is the problem.  I believe this is fixed in the
current beta version (new version due out soon).

--
Richard Coleman
coleman(_at_)math(_dot_)gatech(_dot_)edu