Re: Workarounds for argument limits (was: Re: current work on nmh)

1998-06-21 12:02:28

Jerry Peek writes:
I haven't checked the nmh code, Perry.  But now that Richard has fixed
sequences to expand dynamically, could you use sequences instead?

Sure, I *could* do that....

If you can't use sequences, you might write a little Perl script that

And I *could* do that. In fact, I *have* been working around the
problem, generally by using for loops in sh, or by using xargs.

But the point is, I think, that there is no actual *cause* for having
the number of arguments the programs take be statically allocated, and
it frequently causes trouble. Why don't we just eliminate the problem?

Perry