Re: nmh-0.26: reply -cc all does not work

1998-07-06 13:52:57
From:  "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie(_at_)UU(_dot_)NET>
Date:  Mon, 06 Jul 1998 15:02:08 -0400

The format file approach is painful to me because it's a lame little
programming or extension language in an era when there are many better
choices available.

I had often thought of replacing that mechanism with a Tcl interpreter
so that the functions performed by the format files could be implemented
in a more clear way with simple Tcl scripts.  Having it be part of the
the (n)mh command means easy access to the properties (headers, etc)
associated with the original message.

Adding this capability really opens up a wide range of possibilities,
and making the "Right Thing" easier for many end-users, without getting
tied up with the arcane syntax of the existing capability.

Funny thing.  I was thinking just last week that building a tcl/tk interpreter
into nmh would be interesting for use with exmh.  I suspect that exmh would be
considerably faster if all the nmh/MH stuff were tcl commands.  Obviously a
lot of the planned cleanup of the nmh code would be needed before this could
be done, but it is an interesting thought.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 Deep Eddy Internet Consulting
+1 512 432 4046                 609 Deep Eddy Avenue                    O-

My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination:
  If it starts with cwg-dated..., it is *only* valid for 2 weeks.
  If it starts with cwg-sender..., *only* the person the message was
    intended for can reply to it.