Re: Replacing format files (was: nmh-0.26: reply -cc all does not work)

1998-07-06 13:56:28
From:  Hal DeVore <haldevore(_at_)earthling(_dot_)net>
Date:  Mon, 06 Jul 1998 14:22:03 -0500

louie(_at_)UU(_dot_)NET wrote:
I had often thought of replacing that mechanism with a Tcl interpreter so
that the functions performed by the format files could be implemented in
a more clear way with simple Tcl scripts.

An interesting and useful thought.  I'd have a couple of concerns, though.

1)  Language wars (i.e., why didn't you choose (insert language here), it
    would be _much_ better for this because (insert rant here).

Even though I *much* prefer perl over tcl (I teach both, BTW), for this
purpose, tcl is clearly the better choice for two reasons that I can think of:

        1) exmh.  Many of us are exmh users and exmh could gain a lot from
           using tcl.

        2) tcl was designed for *exactly* this kind of purpose.

2)  Size and speed, MH/nmh is relatively lean and mean.

I wouldn't think we'd want the original separate executables to disappear, but
simply to have a shell which supports the MH/nmh commands as a tcl extension.
If you don't use the shell, nothing changes.

3)  What to do for folks who don't have / don't want / can't install Tcl

If tcl isn't available, just don't build the shell.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 Deep Eddy Internet Consulting
+1 512 432 4046                 609 Deep Eddy Avenue                    O-

My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination:
  If it starts with cwg-dated..., it is *only* valid for 2 weeks.
  If it starts with cwg-sender..., *only* the person the message was
    intended for can reply to it.