Re: nmh 1.1 release canidate uploaded

2002-11-16 21:50:44
Well...yesterday I sent a message from a different email address that I
imagine the list owner might be reading about now...don't worry about that
message (sorry for the duplicate if it gets to the list).

I maintain the nmh "port" for FreeBSD and I've gotten a request to update
it to 1.1-RC1. Updating to release _candidates_ would normally make me kind
of nervous, but given the release history and that the RC was, what, about
4 months ago now, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether
or not I should. If so, should the savannah.gnu.org download site be the
official source of the tarball?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcome!

I'll leave it up to Ken to give a definitive word, but I know he's been busy
recently so I'll toss in my opinion.  First, yes, the savannah site should be
considered official.   The mhost site should just point to savannah at this
point.

I don't think release candidates belong in the ports collection.  1.1rc1
should be relatively stable, but it hasn't been tested much at this point.
Development has gone very slowly.    If there is enough demand, I'd consider
making a second port, nmh-devel, as is common for some other ports.
Alternatively, I'd be willing to figure out how to make a FreeBSD package of
1.1 rc1 and make it available for download for FreeBSD users who want to give
1.1 a try.

Scott

Scott

Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)cmf(_dot_)nrl(_dot_)navy(_dot_)mil> wrote:

Everyone,

I've created a nmh 1.1 release canidate.  You can get it from:

http://savannah.gnu.org/download/nmh/nmh-1.1-RC1.tar.gz