Re: nmh 1.1 release canidate uploaded

2002-11-18 11:17:10
Glenn Burkhardt <glenn(_at_)aoi-industries(_dot_)com> wrote:

Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)cmf(_dot_)nrl(_dot_)navy(_dot_)mil> wrote:

Everyone,

I've created a nmh 1.1 release canidate.  You can get it from:

http://savannah.gnu.org/download/nmh/nmh-1.1-RC1.tar.gz

What's the difference between this release and the one I picked (and have
been using since then) in July?

  Good question.

  Unfortunately, Savannah doesn't seem to provide the same Files section
  as does Sourceforge which organizes release notes and changelogs
  together with the release. It just points to a big ftp directory.

  In the MH-E project, my "release notes" are the README file which is
  short and says which versions of Emacs are supported, how to install
  MH-E, and where to get more help and documentation.

  I don't actually show the actual ChangeLog, but distill the best bits.
  It looks like the Emacs' NEWS file.

  On Savannah, we could do one of two things (or a combination). We
  could create README and a NEWS files. The README would include the
  installation notes (which in nmh's case might point to an INSTALL file
  within the distribution) and the NEWS file would be a reverse
  chronological listing of new features and bug fixes:

    NEWS
    README
    nmh-1.1-RC1.tar.gz

  Or, we could associate a README and a NEWS file with each release:

    nmh-1.1-RC1.NEWS
    nmh-1.1-RC1.README
    nmh-1.1-RC1.tar.gz

  Or, a combination thereof (I think this would work best in this case):

    README
    nmh-1.1-RC1.NEWS
    nmh-1.1-RC1.tar.gz

  To see where I'm coming from, go to:

    https://sourceforge.net/projects/mh-e/

  Look down to the "Latest File Releases" section and and click on the
  book for the mh-e package. When you do that, you'll see the Notes
  (which comes from the README in the distribution) and the Changes
  (which comes from the file MH-E-NEWS in the distribution). The only
  reason we use the name MH-E-NEWS instead of NEWS is because we install
  MH-E into GNU Emacs, and it wouldn't be such a great idea to overwrite
  the Emacs NEWS file ;-).

--
Bill Wohler <wohler(_at_)newt(_dot_)com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG
ID:610BD9AD