Re: [Nmh-workers] Question about slocal

2003-08-02 01:30:05
On August 1, 2003 at 00:38, Bill Wohler wrote:

Matthew Burke <matthew(_at_)bluedino(_dot_)net> wrote:

I want to run nmh on my laptop but I don't have an MTA installed.
Using inc to get email from my two POP accounts works just fine but I
would prefer to run everything through slocal so that I can filter it.
Is there a way to do this without installing an MTA and then using
something like fetchmail to grab from the POP accounts?

While it's not what you're asking, I've installed sendmail, postfix, and
(the Debian default of) exim. The last was the easiest. And it makes
fetchmail and procmail possible without much pain at all. So, I think
the answer to your question is no, but I don't think the alternative is
as bad as you think.

You should be able to use fetchmail with procmail.  Fetchmail has
the -m option to specify a delivery agent to use instead of forwarding
the messages to an SMTP host.  For example:

  fetchmail -m "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"

I would guess it is possible to have fetchmail invoke slocal
directly:

  fetchmail -m "/usr/lib/nmh/slocal -addr %T -sender %F"

But I would try things out first.

--ewh