Re: [Nmh-workers] unseen sequence after inc into initially-empty folder

2003-12-02 09:30:07
correction to what i just wrote:  the mailbox file i was inc'ing from
had a whole lot more than 100 messages in it.  the inc stopped at 100,
with the BUG message i quoted below.  i just did another inc from there,
and it pulled in another 319 messages.

paul

no sure whether this is directly related the to the following thread,
but i want to pass it on before i lose the text.  i just did an inc of
100 messages into an empty folder.  i'm running a CVS snapshot from
around the time of the bad RC2 release.  it has the simpler of the fixes
being discussed applied to it.  i just got the following message:
    inc: BUG: called folder_realloc with lo (1) > mp->lowmsg (0)

i don't have time right now to look into this -- but i can provide more
details about my code base if anyone needs them...

paul

 > > I do agree that mp->hghmsg++ is simpler than the whole chunk of code
 > > (which I copied from folder_addmsg).  I do think that mp->lowmsg
 > > should be set to 1 if it was zero, though (since there is no message
 > > number 0).  Here's why:
 >
 > Both calls to folder_realloc() in inc.c use 'mp->lowoff', not 'mp->lowmsg'
 > for the second argument 'int lo'.  In 'folder_read()', this value will be
 > at least 1, so the particular code you mention won't fail.
 >
 > In principle, I agree wholeheartedly about rigorous maintenance of state
 > variables.  The whole business of dealing with the variables in
 > 'struct msgs' would be better handled with a C++ class, or just
subroutines
 > that are called when members need to be changed.
 >
 > However, the nmh code set is a bit of jumble, and I really worry about
 > unintended side effects of a change that on the surface makes perfect
sense.
 > So at this point I'd want to study the handling of 'mp->lowmsg' before
 > making the change.

 paul fox, pgf(_at_)foxharp(_dot_)boston(_dot_)ma(_dot_)us (arlington, ma,
where it's 28.8 degrees)