Re: [Nmh-workers] quotes in personal names

2003-12-14 05:30:05

Hi Carl,

MS Outlook (and maybe other mailers) inserts double quotes around the
personal names in header lines, like this:

    From: "Nobody Special" <nobody(_at_)special(_dot_)com>

Unfortunately, the current version of nmh doesn't remove these quotes,
so they appear in the output of 'scan,' which is irritating.  I fixed
this for my nmh by hacking fmt_scan.c so that the friendly() command
removes the double quotes.

Is there an "offical" way to remove the quotes already present in nmh?
If not, I can send a patch for fmt_scan.c to do it.

Are the double quotes considered special by any relevant RFC?  If they
are then does any processing need to happen to the double quoted string
if the double quotes are removed?  If not, then I'd rather friendly()
left them there as they are characters the user has, maybe indirectly,
decided to put there.  Perhaps a rmdq() can be added to process
friendly()'s output?

Cheers,

Ralph.