[Nmh-workers] VFAT support and gdbm woes

2004-03-17 15:30:08
Hi,

I am a long time user of MH (since 1986) and mh-e (since 1992) + am
working on a dual-boot toy (... I mean computer) at home that has a
completely uniform interface no matter what side you are on.  Cygwin is
essential to this + I thank Earl Hood for porting nmh to that side of
things.  Now I am in the embarrassing situation of having MH work better
in Windows on the shared vfat partition than LINUX side of things
(Debian testing distribution).  It seems as though MH is very
sophisticated when it moves files around + uses hard links (essentially
mucking directly with the filesystem).  Earl (or the cygwin primitives
he relied on) must have found a way to turn this off.  I was wondering
if there was any plan to implement this in the UNIX version if things.

I would be happy to play with the code myself, but I am having trouble
getting it to compile (nmh-1.1-RC3.tar.gz) because of the gdbm problems.
I used Debian's dselect to download the gdbm developement package
(header files + libraries) + they get put directly in /usr/include as
gdbm-ndbm.h and gdbm.h.  I can get a little further on the compile if I
make a directory and (soft) link ndbm.h -> /usr/include/gdbm-ndbm.h but
it still fails since the version of libgdbm.a Debian provides has all
the function names prepended with g (e.g. gdbm_open).  Fixing this is
more than I have time for right now, so I thought I'd bring it to your
attention + see what the plans might be for VFAT support.

Thanks!

jpm

Jeff Morgenthaler, Ph.D.                        NASA/GSFC Building 21 Room 018
National Research Council Fellow                Code 681
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center                Greenbelt, MD 20771
jpmorgen at alum,mit,edu                        Phone:  301-286-0664
http://alum.mit.edu/www/jpmorgen                FAX:    301-286-1753