Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh updates

2004-10-13 14:06:40

Hi,

IMHO...

Not only does leaving out those files require one to have autoconf,
etrc, it also requires one to have the right version of autoconf, they
all tend to be just a bit different, and if someone has a different
version than the one the package assumes, very odd effects can
sometimes occur.

My experience is projects don't store generated files in CVS.  If you
check out from CVS then you'll need the relevant build tools, e.g.
autoconf and a C compiler.

Just keep all of these files, anything that isn't system dependent
should be retained, and shipped - and checked into cvs so that (even
long after the relevant version of autoconf has vanished from the face
of the earth) a particular (perhaps old) version of the software can
always be built.

Keeping a record of the files that were shipping in a released tar file
is done by keeping the tar file.  Yes, autoconf, etc., changes, but so
do compilers and we don't check in *.o either.  Unlike one project I
worked on, we don't need to CM everything from the OS upwards.

Cheers,

Ralph.