Re: [Nmh-workers] MHCONTEXT buglet - send, post slow with dot_lock

2004-11-24 10:44:13
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:21:13 MST, Robert Tarrall said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I *think* the general assumption when
you're locking these files is that you're going to change them and want
to ensure that someone else doesn't make changes at the same time.  If
you don't have sufficient permissions to modify the file, locking is
irrelevant because you're not going to be changing it anyway.

The problem is that it's possible for the *file* to be writeable, but
the directory to *not* be writeable.

[~] mkdir foo-bar
[~] touch foo-bar/baz
[~] chmod 555 foo-bar
[~] touch foo-bar/.baz.lock
touch: cannot touch `foo-bar/.baz.lock': Permission denied
[~] echo quux >| foo-bar/baz
{~]