Re: [Nmh-workers] Braindump: Extended MH Format

2004-12-10 22:03:16
Chad Walstrom wrote:
Obviously, you don't want to REQUIRE clients to update the file if it
works out better to have their own indexing mechanisms.  Sylpheed
doesn't rely upon .mh_sequences,GNUS' .overview files, or .xmhcache
files.

Um. If you don't require everybody to keep the index in step then there's
no point, because an index-aware client can't rely on the index being
in sync with the actual data.

Snip various. I'm afraid I've lost track of what the actual problem
you're trying to solve is; can you reexplain, please?

(GNUS already has a format like this, which it calls nnml, which is
nmh with a .overview file containing some headers from each message. I
haven't actually looked at the implementation, though.)

Might be a good place to start.

It makes it harder to do things like 'grep foo ~/Mail/inbox/3???', of
course...

   $ sed -ne '3000,3999p' ~/Mail/inbox/sequence.all | xargs -r grep foo

Er, that's harder :-)

Again, my bad since we're probably referring to .mh_sequence rather than
.mh_context.  Besides, how many IMAP servers do you know of that
currently care about .mh_sequences?

If they don't properly support the current mh format which has been
around for yonks, what hope of getting them to handle any extended
improved version?

In any case, I don't see a reason why a server or client MUST update
sequence files.

Er, because they're part of the mh folder format?

as far as I'm concerned and I don't think anybody's going to be doing
any coding in the near future :-))

-- PMM