Re: [Nmh-workers] Questionable code - the bigger picture

2005-05-15 08:57:04
There's really something bigger going on than just my query about this piece
of questionable code.  A side-effect of a project that I'm working on is that
I'm adding some features to nmh to support that project.  So I'm looking at a
lot of the code.  I'm adding comments to stuff when I figure out what it does
,
and would like to clean up things that could use it while I'm at it.  In othe
words, I'm trying to incrementally revamp the code.  So I don't just want to
put off all changes for some future grand revamping, because I don't expect
that that will ever happen.

Actually, I think in order for nmh to stay alive, it has to happen.  I've
been slowly working on cleaning things up in a private repository I'm
keeping.  It's slow and horrid work, but it's needed.  Much of this code is
very old and predates most of the current standards.

If there is interest, I think it would be worth starting a cleanup branch
in CVS, or an nmh-cleanup sub project (possibly not hosted on savannah).

There are a number of features I would like to see nmh have, but I soon
came to understand that it's just too hard with the current code.

--
    JB