Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh-1.1-RC4 post /tmp/,LCK.* problem

2005-11-15 23:31:30
This is an issue with dot locking that I brought up about two years ago,
but apparently never opened a bug for.  This change in behavior is a
good reason not to use dot locking as the default.

I just opened a bug report for it:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?func=detailitem&item_id=14977

I have been successfully using lockf locking over NFS for a couple
years.

Dot locking is the only kind of locking guaranteed to be `supported' on
all/most servers, so I don't see how any other default is sensible.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

Anyway, I think the best might be for nmh to refuse to manipulate (create,
edit, etc.) files that it cannot dotlock. I'm not sure whether that
refusal should be a fatal error for the entire command being executed,
or a warning and partial success of the command.

Cheers,

        - Joel