Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh-1.1-RC4 post /tmp/,LCK.* problem

2005-11-20 05:35:36
Joel Reicher wrote:
Perhaps we should make configure insist on the user specifying a
locking strategy, with no default :-)

When I said "sensible" I meant something along the lines of "has a
chance of working, if anything does". :)

I think it's a reasonable assumption that nmh programs will be the only
ones manipulating these files, because in the cases where this is not
true, the user that has set other programs going probably knows what
they're doing.

Um, the novice user presumably reads the manpage and starts out
using inc. (Heck, I *still* use inc :-)). If inc doesn't lock the
mailspool correctly then they might lose mail. In fact, for the
novice that's the only bit of locking they care about -- they're
not likely to be running multiple nmh programs simultaneously.

-- PMM