Re: [Nmh-workers] patches to the nmh-1.1-RC4 version of configure.in

2005-12-15 05:59:27
pmaydell@chiark.greenend.org.uk wrote:
Jay Buhner wrote:
The second problem is that recent versions of the gdbm
library have moved the dbm compatibility routines to
the gdbm_compat library.  I modified configure.in to
check for this and link with the appropriate
libraries.

I note that the current configure.in doesn't get debian stable
(with libdb4.2-dev) right either

My inclination is to say that we should replace this growing nest
of AC_CHECK_LIB functions with something using AC_LINK_IFELSE; that
way we can define DB_DBM_HSEARCH and check for dbm_open rather than
fiddling around looking for internal __ symbols.

I have now done this (and committed it to CVS). I believe that this
shouldn't break anything (and have definitely at least tested the
various configure.in logic paths by judicious fudging of library
and function names).

However there are no guarantees, and the set of systems I have
access to for testing is rather limited...

-- PMM